Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Necessary Evil?


The weekend yielded nothing exciting. I spent the whole time working, unfortunately. I did manage to get out for drinks with friends late in the evening Saturday. But for the most part, blah.

On Friday night, however, shortly after arriving home from work around 1:00 a.m., I received the following email from Tom:

i guess you were right all along. i am in fact much happier when you're not a part of my life. it's to bad we couldn't stay friends. you'd really like this new girl i'm seeing.



Excuse me? Mind you, Tom and I haven’t spoken in over 2 weeks.

Now, I’m not delusional. Tom and I have both said hurtful things in the course of heated arguments. But a sucker punch? I hadn’t thought he was the intentionally malicious type. But I had to face it- my ex boyfriend is mean.


It took everything I had not to write back. A thousand responses were running through my head:

"wow! You know how I love being right! So happy for you!"


"oooh- I’d love to meet her. I’m sure she’d be so flattered that you felt the need to tell me about her. At 1:30. on a Friday. Can I get her number?"


"does she know you’re an asshole? "


"it’s "too", Tom, not "to." I knew there was a reason we broke up."

"if you think this is the way back into my heart- spite and jealousy –
boy are you right! Want to come over and make out?"


But mostly, I just wanted to send a big fuck you. Fuck you, and the time I’ve spent honestly evaluating my mistakes in this relationship. Fuck you for spitting on three and half years of what I assumed was a caring partnership. And fuck you for thinking your petty cruelties can shake me. I am better than this.

In the end, though, I didn’t respond. Lib – 1, Tom – 0.


In happier news, I’ve quit smoking (again)! The previous ex, Jimmy, made me a little day counter code to keep track (its over there ←). Thanks, Jimmy (who isn’t reading this, btw).

No comments:

Post a Comment